Hof in Öræfi has been a ecclesiastical site for almost 700 years, and is first mentioned in a cartulary from 1343. Hofskirkja Church was dedicated to saint Clement. The core of the current church at Hof was built in 1884, and was the last turf church built in the old Icelandic architectural style. Its walls are assembled of rocks and its roof made of stone slabs, covered in turf. The reredos in Hofskirkja Church was painted by the artist Ólafur Túbals. Hofskirkja Church is one of six churches, in Iceland still standing which are preserved as historical monuments. It is recorded that Páll Pálsson, a carpenter, built the church, but Þorsteinn Gissurarson, a blacksmith from Hof forged the building hardware, the lock and hinges. The church is maintained by the National Museum but also serves as a parish church.
»» National Museum of Iceland