Located near Hof is the nature reserve, Ingólfhöfði. It is a high cliff formation on the south east coast of Iceland. The headland is residence for nesting seabirds. The view from the cape is spectacular, both of the black volcanic sands on the south east coast as well as the roaring waves of the North – Atlantic Ocean. Ingólfshöfði is a 76 m high, 1,200 m long palagonite- and dolerite cliff, inhabited by varied majestic seabirds characteristic for Iceland.
Mostly guillemots, razorbills, fulmars and puffins, amongst other species which lay their eggs and nest both on the cliff and in surrounding areas. The historical cape is named after the first settler of Iceland, the legendary Ingólfur Arnarson who came ashore on the cape accompanied by his blood brother Hjörleifur, and spent his first winter in Iceland in the year 874 AD. In 1974, the year we celebrated our independence, and 1100 years of Iceland settlement the cape was proclaimed a nature preserve and a monument put up to honor Ingólfur Arnarson. In 1912 a shelter for cast aways was constructed but the light house on the east part of the cape is from 1916. It was re-built in 1948. In the summertime there are daily tours to the cape in a tractor drawn hay wagon, departing from Hofsnes.